August 19, 2010
visual search engines are getting more and more useful and popular. So popular that Google is said to be interested to acquire them, according to today’s news on the Wall Street Journal Europe.
Like.com is a comparison-shopping website from California, that allow the users find cloths that look alike (see the picture below). A similar function, based on image recognition technology, is offered by the Pixazza Inc. that “helps Web users purchase products they see in photos on some celebrity or home-design sites” (WSJE).
August 18, 2010
The Strategic Management Society is organizing a one day Workshop on “Mapping Change, Changing Mappings: Conceptual Shifts in Strategy“, in Venice September 10th 2010.
In the morning it “will be addressing the most fundamental theoretical perspective on conceptual change in strategy and their dynamics”. The afternoon will focus”on how representations and “tools” based on representations (e.g. of a visual, or a narrative kind…) are integrated in managerial practice and how they can be used to promote shifts in a strategy concept.”
This academic panel from prestigious universities of Europe and U.S. is using novel and intriguing concepts and wordings, such as “concept morphing by metaphors”, “analogies and blends in strategy” and “grammar of conceptual shifts in strategy”.
Sounds very promising! I hope they’ll have some documentation online.
August 14, 2010
The Academy of Management annual meeting just took place in Montreal (August 6-10, 2010) with 8000 participants from 80 countries. This huge and prestigious event has pulled together scholars from all facets of management, from entrepreneurship to social innovation, to managerial education with new media and hardcore management theory. Despite 1801 sessions were organized, only a handful of them were dedicated to visual representations, with different names:
– The power of representations
– Our paper at the Knowledge sharing and online communities paper session
– A paper on Coherence and Visual Representation as Knowledge Creating Devices in Strategy in the paper session Shooting for the moon: The role of cognitive schema and mental maps
–Teaching Design Thinking symposium in management education
– A paper on Cognitive Maps as Visual Artifacts for sensemaking and sensegiving in IS implementation
Somewhat relevant to visual representations I found as well:
– symposium on documentary films on organizational behaviors: What’s Wrong with This Picture? Critical Documentary Film as a Catalyst for Change
– Learning on second Life at the workshop on Sustainable Business Practices: Experiential Learning in Virtual Environments
In the picture an image from the conference presentation on Coherence and Visual Representation as Knowledge Creating Devices in Strategy by Tally Fruchtman Rossiter, who has an interesting blog on visualization